Sunday, November 06, 2005

Back To Work Tomorrow, Boo Hoo!

Here I am at the end of my week off. It's been a mixed week. My cold has almost gone but I keep having little relapses. I've also picked up an ear infection - ouch!

Max has emerged from under the table none the worse for wear for his terror last night. I wonder if it's made him afraid of the dark? Good thing dogs have short memories! Max will be one year old on 15th November so, rather than post new pics, I thought I'd do a bit of a retrospective. So here is a pic taken on the night he came to live with us. He's sooooo little! It's hard to believe now that I could hold him in one hand at this stage.

I've bought myself a niddy noddy. I thought it would be quite awkward to use but I got the hang of it really quickly and its a lot less painful than using my arm to make a skein! It's an Ashford and makes a skein of 150cm or 60 inches.

The Regia 6ply socks are coming along nicely. I've made no attempt to match the stripes but they are managing to get a pretty close match all on their ownsome. The pattern does repeat but not exactly so, although I didn't know that when I started knitting, it means that it was a good idea not to match!

The red blue and green socks are for my Mum and the yarn is the result of stash diving in her stash. Yes, I know its a bit cheeky using her yarn to make her a pair but she doesn't mind as she says she will never make a pair. We'll see! The yarn is a bit of a mystery but I think she has some more in a different colour so I will go hunting sometime and see if I can identify it. I'm not using a pattern for the socks but sort of making one of my own. I'm using what has become my standard toe-up, short row toe and heel pattern and the stripes are being done according to the Fibonacci number sequence. I know there is a pattern on the web for a sweater using Fibonacci stripes but I couldn't find it so I Googled Fibonacci to get the number sequence which is 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21 etc. I'm using the numbers 2,3,5 & 8 and three colours so the stripes will look random but it will be a repeating pattern over 54 rows. The toes are solid red and the heels will be either blue or green depending on where I am in the colour stripe sequence when I get there. The ribbing will be in whatever colour is left.

Bargain needles from the little craft shop in my town! The 3.75mm dpns cost £1.10, the 3.25mm 80cm circ was 80 pence and the 10mm 80cm circ was 75 pence. Like I said bargain! I had a long chat with the shop owner who is a very lovely lady. She is so enthusiastic and loves to find out what her customers are up to craft-wise. We spent quite a lot of time talking about spinning and she even said if I don't have room for a spinning wheel I could leave it in her shop and sit in there and spin!! Wow! It's been a long time since I met someone as warm and generous as her.

There's recently been a big discussion on the UKHK yahoo list about bad service in yarn shops and, like many others, I've experienced it but certainly not in this case! Nor in the little yarn shop in my town either. The owner of that shop is fabulous as well. Ready to help if you need it but quite happy for you to mooch around on your own after she has greeted you.

1 comment:

blueadt said...

I love your Cool Aid dyed yarn! Which pattern did you use for your Toe Up Regia 6 ply passion socks? I really want to get into Toe Ups using the Turkish cast on but have had trouble finding patterns as I use two circulars.