Sunday, January 08, 2006

Secret Pal 7 Questionnaire

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?

Not a snob really. I prefer natural fibres but I will use acrylic or acrylic/natural fibre blends if I like the way they feel. They've got to be soft! I don't like the novelty yarns like fun fur.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

I spin on a drop spindle and drool over spinning wheels - there is one in my future this year even if I have to rob a bank! I can crochet but I don't like doing it.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

A crystal vase. (Sounds a bit posh!)

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I've been knitting since I was a kid and I would say I was intermediate/advanced. So far I've been able to do everything I've tried.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Yes on Amazon.co.uk and I've just created one on Amazon.com - that was a load of fun!

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

This is a tough one! I'm not allergic to anything but I do have a sensitivity to some fragrances and they give me huge headaches! I think scents like lavender, citrus, and more woody ones are best. The florals are the worse ones for me and I'm very fussy about vanilla - some vanillas make me nauseous.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Chocolate!

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

Its all fibre-related at the moment. I love spinning and dyeing and I'm planning to do some felt making in the very near future. I also make candles and soap quite regularly.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I can play MP3s. I'm mainly a rock chick. I like Nickleback, Jet, U2, Bon Jovi, The Calling, The Stereophonics, Live, Noiseworks, INXS and lots of Aussie bands no-one has ever heard of. I also like opera and medieval music - nuts I know! I also like listening to audio-books and dramatisations - mainly sci-fi and fantasy.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

Main favourites at the moment are black, purples and greens. I like quite a lot of colours but I don't like red or brown. I'm a coppery redhead with greenish-bluey eyes but I like me better in greens, blues, purples rather than the autumn colours everyone else thinks I should wear.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

Single, no kids, live with my Mum. We have a mad Border Collie called Max.

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Yes to all except ponchos, I'm a poncho-free zone and planning to stay that way.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

I don't have a favourite.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I hesitate to call it fibre :-) but I really don't like the crunchy, squeaky, really fake feeling acrylics.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

Anything small like socks, mittens, gloves, hats.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

At the moment probably socks.

17. What are you knitting right now?

The Ruffles scarf from Scarf Style, the sweater from the cover of the Jan 2006 Simply Knitting (UK) in Sirdar Salsa DK, and, of course, a pair of socks in Regia 6ply.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Yes, oh yes!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

Either

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Bamboo, wood or metal - I'm not keen on plastic needles but if they are all I've got I'll use them.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

I've got a ball winder and a niddy noddy but not a swift. I'd like a swift!

22. How did you learn to knit?

Mum taught me the basics when I was a kid and I'm self-taught since then.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

I don't have any! The Ruffles scarf has been on the needles longest because I only do a few rows at a time and that was started only about 3 months ago.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

I'm not really into animated characters but I love dogs, wolves and otters. I like watching birds in the garden and put food out to attract them.

25. What is your favorite holiday?

Once again I don't really have one but if pushed I would say Christmas. If we're talking vacation destinations then its Australia because I lived there for over 25 years and have family and lots of friends there.

26. Is there anything that you collect?

I have a small collection of teddy bears.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

None but I am thinking about subscribing to some of the Interweave magazines, particularly Interweave Knits and Spin-Off but I want to see an issue first and haven't got around to getting one yet.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?

I'd like to try some of the US yarns that we can't get easily here in the UK, like some Knit Picks sock yarn as I've heard good things about it and they won't ship here. Any dye-your-own yarns would be fantastic too. I'd really like a copy of the Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook it never seems to be available on Amazon over here. I'd also like to try one of the Fibretrends lace shawl patterns, particularly the Seascape Shawl. Goodness I sound so greedy!

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

Ummmmm..... 2 socks on 2 circs?

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Yes! Foot length: toe to heel: 9.5 inches, toe to ankle: 7.5 inches. Foot circumference: 8.5 inches. Ankle circumference: 8.5 inches. I wear a UK size 6. **Edited to add: since my pal (Hiya, hiya hiya!!) asked that is equivalent to about a US size 7.5 - I think! I had to look it up online.**

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

June 14

5 comments:

Woolly Wormhead said...

It's my first exchange too - exciting, isn't it!

SP7 said...

Teehee :) I got SOOOOO many good ideas...

You just wait. I'm VERY excited....

Sue said...

oooooh! SP7 you are *such* a tease! :-)

SP7 said...

Ok - I need help because apparently, I'm a little slow.

What size in US is a UK size 6?

Sue said...

I had to look this up online because I don't know US sizes but it looks like its a US size 7.5.