A couple of weeks ago Mum and I did a swap. I gave her some yarn I bought on impulse and won't use and she gave me this:
A steamer that she has only used once or twice and generally only sits collecting dust in the kitchen.
I used it to produce this. It is 50gms of Blue Faced Leicester that I bought quite a while ago from P&M Woolcraft. I wasn't too bothered if it didn't turn out because I was just playing with the steamer to see how it would work. Needless to say, I went a bit wild and crazy with the dye! I only used three colours - red, blue and yellow - and you can see the variation I got. The colours are really intense, bright jewel tones.
I split the tops and pre-drafted them ready for spinning.
And this is how they turned out!
I was half expecting a dull, murky brown but I got the most gorgeous, muted jewel tones.
This is why I love spinning and dyeing, it is such a creative process and manages to constantly surprise me! What this yarn becomes will depend on how much yardage I get. I'm pretty sure I will leave it as singles rather than plying but I might test ply a bit to see what it looks like.
Update on the angora. As you might have guessed - I washed it all! It is drying on a towel on my airer and looks like something a grey cat the size of Gibralter might have coughed up! It was very clean, the water only turned very slightly brown. I think I'm going to spin it before I decide whether to dye it and what to make with it. It's soooooo soft!