Sunday, January 22, 2006

Unexpected

A couple of weeks ago Mum and I did a swap. I gave her some yarn I bought on impulse and won't use and she gave me this:

A steamer that she has only used once or twice and generally only sits collecting dust in the kitchen.

I used it to produce this. It is 50gms of Blue Faced Leicester that I bought quite a while ago from P&M Woolcraft. I wasn't too bothered if it didn't turn out because I was just playing with the steamer to see how it would work. Needless to say, I went a bit wild and crazy with the dye! I only used three colours - red, blue and yellow - and you can see the variation I got. The colours are really intense, bright jewel tones.

I split the tops and pre-drafted them ready for spinning.

And this is how they turned out!

I was half expecting a dull, murky brown but I got the most gorgeous, muted jewel tones.

This is why I love spinning and dyeing, it is such a creative process and manages to constantly surprise me! What this yarn becomes will depend on how much yardage I get. I'm pretty sure I will leave it as singles rather than plying but I might test ply a bit to see what it looks like.

Update on the angora. As you might have guessed - I washed it all! It is drying on a towel on my airer and looks like something a grey cat the size of Gibralter might have coughed up! It was very clean, the water only turned very slightly brown. I think I'm going to spin it before I decide whether to dye it and what to make with it. It's soooooo soft!

10 comments:

Meg said...

beautiful clours Sue

Allena said...

wow that turned out lovely! beautiful and bright a great way to go!

Daisy said...

Those colours are GORGEOUS!

SP7 said...

GASP! I am so jealous. All I can do in MY kitchen is burn stuff and forget the toast I put in the toaster 2 hours ago.

It's probably cold.

Your new yarn is STUNNING.

Cheryl said...

That turned out so beautifully! It's true you can never really predict the results of dyeing and spinning. I love it when the surprise you get is that nice!

TutleyMutley said...

Wow that yarn is beautiful - what are you going to do with it?

Dixie said...

Really gorgeous colors! You have such a knack for making beautiful colors!

jess said...

beautiful.

You made me laugh about furball and cat the size of Gib... what a thought!

Rain said...

Great job, it's gorgeous.

Woolly Wormhead said...

That's beautiful Sue! And more to the point, I'm jealous of your knack with the drop spindle! ;)