Thursday, March 30, 2006

Sewing For Pleasure/Hobbycrafts At The NEC

I think I spent more than the gross national product of a small country today but it was fun!

I met Yvonne, Sue and Fred who are all very nice people and a great laugh. A disclaimer here - whatever Fred and Sue say about the gentleman who asked to borrow my trousers, it wasn't like that! Honest! It was Ziggy the lucet man if you want to know. If you go to Sewing for Pleasure make sure you find Ziggy's stand and check out his shoe laces! I forgot to take my camera so I only have pictures of what I acquired today to show you, no fellow bloggers sorry. A heads up, unless you are really interested in card making and scrapbooking there is very little point in going to Hobbycrafts. The Polymer Clay Pit is there though so it wasn't completely wasted for me.

First a group shot of the, ahem, acquirements (is so too a word!) I didn't have any real plan for what I wanted to buy today because, other than sock yarn, I didn't expect much in line with my current obsessions. As you can see, I did manage to find enough to make quite a good haul. :-)

First we have the sock yarns from Web of Wool. I got two shades of Fortissima Socka 4 ply in colours 6537 and 6541, these are a 45% cotton, 42% wool and 13% polyamide mix. Also some Regia Silk in colour 0184 which is 55% merino, 20% silk and 25% polyamide. If I tell you that this is to-die-for-soft you'll believe me won't you? I also got some 15cm bamboo dpns in 2.5mm and 3.5 mm. They are nice and short and I'm looking forward to using them. I finally managed to corrupt, I mean persuade my Mum to knit socks. She bought a sock kit with Opal Dreamweaver yarn in it - sadly I can't remember the colour number and my legs ache way too much to go downstairs to check. Its a gorgeous colour though. She started knitting her first sock on the train home. You can see where I get it from can't you?

Next a huge pile of undyed silk. The tops and hankies will be dyed and spun. The ginormous bag of mixed silk bits will be dyed, obviously, and used for a project that has yet to be decided on. Impulse buy? Me? It will probably be a felted and stitched extravaganza of some sort. At the moment, I'm just stroking it...

This is the lucet I bought from Ziggy-of-the-trousers comment. Actually, Fred sold it to me. He and Sue were moonlighting on Ziggy's stand while the Knit and Natter Knitted Garden stand was heaving with people. I really have to blame Fred for this purchase, he was sitting there looking so charming while demonstrating how to use the lucet that before I knew it, a lucet was mine. I did try to convince Mum to buy one so I could use it but she wouldn't. Not fair! I have no idea how to use it yet mind you but it will be fun learning.

Final goodies include a needle felting kit, something I've wanted to try for a while.





A one pound brick of polymer clay, it's white because after its fired I can paint it. This is for making spindle whorls. Beads for the beaded sock pattern I have. Woad seeds! I'm going to grow my own dye!

Lastly, a necklace kit and a dangly dolly kit. Well Dolly looked so cute I just had to have her!

And now I really need to sleep!

6 comments:

Wye Sue said...

Good to meet you as well :-)
You got some of the same sock colours as me ! and I nearly bought a dangle dolly as well...
Glad you had a good time, hope Mum not too tired.
Take care, happy playing
Sue

sal the spider said...

What a haul, good going girl!!:-)
Sal x

Dixie said...

My goodness! Look at all that great stuff you bought! I can't wait to see it put to use!

Rain said...

You have gone mad, but what marvellous stuff you've bought. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

The sock yarn is gorgeous, I'm not surprised you were able to corrupt your mother.

Annette said...

Those sock yarns are so tempting, are'nt they? I'm frantically trying to use up what I've already got so that I can justify buying more. Good luck with the needle-felting.

Cheryl said...

Are some of those silk cocoons?? I wouldn't even know where to begin to process those!