Sunday, March 05, 2006

Silk Part II


I've spun the first two hankies. It's very nubbly and thick and thin but I think its gorgeous!

It spins up completely differently to wool and to me seems like it is harder to spin. I think it's because the fibres are so long that a completely different drafting technique is needed. On the first hanky I basically spun it like wool and quickly ran into the problem of not being able to draft properly. The length of the fibres meant that they were already caught in the spun section and didn't want to budge. Tugging on the roving made me realise just how strong silk is! The second hanky went better because I pre-drafted it almost to the point of not needing to draft while spinning.

Its a very seductive fibre to spin. I was so caught up watching the sheen on the fibres and the colours slipping past each other that it was a bit of a shock to hear the 'CLUNK!' as the spindle hit the floor at the end of a much longer strand than I ever get to with wool. That's not to say that my thread broke. Oh no! I've discovered that silk can spin gossamer thin and still be very strong.

So begineth my silk adventures. There will be more. I think I have a new addiction. I'll be getting some silk tops to work with next I think.

4 comments:

Rain said...

It looks gorgeous.

Dixie said...

This is all over my head but it's look gorgeous!

Cheryl said...

Wow, what an incredible shine it has. Gorgeous! I'm so glad you're posting about this in such detail. I've been wanting to get my hands on some silk hankies for a while and I'm glad to have your experience to learn from!

Woolly Wormhead said...

Brave girl, going straight for the hankie. Me, I've some hand-dyed silk tops waiting. Looks beautiful Sue!