Sunday, March 05, 2006

Silk

The dyeing was a really useful experiment. I used the same technique as I do for wool dyeing with quite different results as you'd expect! I squirted alternating lines of red and blue across the hankies and wrapped them up in cling film. Then I smooshed (another technical term) the package around to mix the colours and steamed it for 30 minutes. When I do this with wool the colours blend quite a lot but, as you can see, with the silk they remained quite distinct. I like it!

The silk dried overnight!! Wool always seems to take forever. Mind you, this is only 10 gms of silk hankies soooo...... :-)

I peeled off a layer(or layers it's a bit hard to tell!), stuck my finger through the middle and started to stretch it out. I wasn't sure if I was doing it right as it seemed quite tough to do. As it stretched though it got easier and began to resemble roving. Phew! Now it's ready to spin. It's quite neppy but I don't mind that, it is my first attempt after all. I will try to pick out the bigger ones though. I'm not going to try to spin it too thin because I think my only two spindles are too big. Something I've discoverd already is that silk catches on everything! Smooth hands? Not according to silk. Smooth worktop? Nope. Smooth fabric to work on? Nope, nope, nope. It's going to interesting if nothing else. Pictures of the stuff spun as soon as I spin some.

As an afterthought, this is Ruffles in all her acrylic glory. :-)

The colour is quite washed out. It's actually a lot more intense than this. The light greeny blue is actually quite a vivid teal. And I have a long way to go.

1 comment:

sal the spider said...

Along way? You ain't wrong! LOL I have been knitting Ruffles for an age - and then some ;-) I like it a lot, we call it the intestinal scarf!! Sal x