Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Spinning And Dyeing

I've been playing with the new Kemtex dyes I got a couple of weeks ago.

The first batch, 50 gms of Wensleydale roving, was rainbow dyed using the method where you sprinkle the dye powder over the wet wool in the dye pot. I used blue and jade. This is the first time I've used this method and I think I could have used more dye. It's very pretty though and reminds me of the colour of the sea from my holiday in Vanuatu. Vanuatu is a country made up of about 80 islands in the South Pacific and, like a true tropical island paradise, is surrounded by turquoise-coloured sea. Beautiful!

Second is 50 gms of Blue Faced Leicester roving dyed in the leftover dye pot from the Wensleydale. Another gorgeous colour - quite a pastel aqua.



Last is a batch that I steamed using 100gms of Blue Faced Leicester and a syringe to squirt the dye stock (yellow, red, blue, jade) on the wetted roving, smooshed it around bit to make sure the colours spread all through. I then wrapped it in cling film and steamed for 30 minutes. The colours are quite clown-like but I will reserve judgement until I spin it because I know how much the actual spinning can blend the colours.

I've been a bit Blue Peter-ish with one of my spindles too. I've converted it to a top whorl spindle. It spins well although using a top whorl has taken a bit of getting used to. Here is a final pic of the Wensleydale being spun on it.

5 comments:

Daisy said...

I'm getting all inspired after seeing your pics and now I've bought the Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook. I want to try spinning! (and dyeing!)

sal the spider said...

Gorgeous dahling! :-) Love those bright colours! Do tell how you spin it and show us the result, pretty please!
Sal x

Rain said...

It all looks so pretty but I especially like the multicoloured one. I can't wait to see it all spun up and then knitted.

Katie said...

Those rovings are gorgeous!! I'm experimenting with dyeing rovings too, but don't know which method works best. Yours came out very well!

Woolly Wormhead said...

Yet again, steaming seems to have strengthened the colours! Looks like you're having fun ;)