Sunday, May 21, 2006

Decisions And Dyeing

First the decisions...

Ruffles from Scarf Style is no longer a WIP. I love the pattern and think it is very clever but I am making zero progress with it so... bye bye Ruffles.

The Denmark socks have managed to secure a reprieve. I've been knitting them as my commuter project this last week and the wool no longer feels rough! Why? No idea! It's a pain doing the cables while on the white knuckle ride that is the 7 am bus!

Now the dyeing.

I'm an addict! I admit it.

Last weekend I dyed this skein of Opal dye-your-own sock yarn. It was my favourite of all the dyeing I'd done... until today. I used pink, jade and a very small amount of navy. Thank goodness my Dye-o-rama pal said they don't like mauve otherwise I'd be thinking I really ought to give this to them! It was rainbow dyed so the colours will be random when knitted. This is still my favourite dyeing technique.

These next few have been dyed today and are still sopping wet so I'll post more pictures when they are dry.

Laceweight 100% merino from Texere dyed with plum. Destined to be Ene's Scarf from Scarf Style if I can ever pluck up the courage to cast on !!375!! stitches.



50 gms of wool and viscose tops rainbow dyed with maroon and orange. Not at all the result I expected but I do like the way this has turned out.



Finally my new all time favouritest ever dyeing attempt. This is Opal dye-your-own handpainted with maroon, orange and yellow and steamed. I was going for a kind of pansy colourway and I think I've managed it! I left the yarn quite wet and the colours in some sections have run together quite a lot but it hasn't detracted from the overall effect. I can't wait till this is dry so I can re-skein it. I think this may well be the new contender for my Dye-o-rama pal. I want to get my pal's skein in the post on Friday so it will either be this one or the plum and green from the last post.

So, that's the news for today! I'm taking next Friday off work so I can have an uber long weekend. I'm soooo looking forward to it!

3 comments:

Rain said...

Your dyeing is absolutely awe inspiring. It all turns out so beautiful. I really like the skein in the first picture and hope you knit with it soon as it's gorgeous. I also love the plum. I think you've definitley hit the pansy look too.

Wow, wow and wow again.

Cheryl said...

You totally got the pansy one, it looks jusy like the pansies I have on my balcony! Love it!

Woolly Wormhead said...

Brilliant Sue, brilliant!xx