Sunday, June 04, 2006

Sunday Hodge Podge

First, a picture of the fields at the back of my house in all their early summer glory. They'll be mowing this soon I suppose which is such a shame because its so lovely like this.



I've lost count of the number of times I've re-started this cardigan for my work colleague's baby which is due late August. I think I've finally found a pattern I like. Its getting a bit close to crunch time so I'm going to have to stick with this one and knit like a dervish to finish it by the time she goes on maternity leave. My colleague asked for an aran pattern and the traditional cream colour as she didn't want anything too babyish. This is being knit in the 6-9 month size and is a pattern from Prima that I found in Mum's pattern stash so I have no idea when it was published.

Books! Three arrived from Amazon this week. I'm drooling over these first two and I'll probably be using the dyeing book to produce yarn for mittens from the other. I was a little surprised to see that they sometimes use Rit dyes in Yarns To Dye For. Its nice to see them use something that anyone can get their hands on though. I've seen dyeing done on blogs that used Dylon and I've been meaning to have a go. I like my acid dyes but it doesn't hurt to try different things.

The third book is Traditional Fair Isle Knitting by Sheila McGregor. This is a brilliant 'techniques' book. It gives a potted history of the traditions of Fair Isle (and Shetland) knitting and how to design a sweater but the best part of the book is the pattern section at the back. They are simple graphs made with dots denoting the pattern allowing your imagination to run wild. Its up to you to decide which patterns to combine and which colours to use. The yarn beside the book is what I dyed yesterday to try out designing a ski hat. Its really hard not to work on the swatch! I must finish the baby cardi first. I must. I must. I must!!

1 comment:

Rain said...

Gorgeous view. I love the meadow look too and my dog loves romping in long grass.

Hang in there with the baby cardi, they grow before you know it.

The books look fab. Have you seen this site for colourwork?
http://www.liis.lv/majtur/darbmac/
raksti.htm