Friday, July 14, 2006

Catch Up Session

I've been in a bit of a mood this week. For the first couple of days, I was feeling a bit... blurgh. Not ill but a bit like 'I don't wanna... but I gotta...' because I had to go to a work-related conference. It sounded like a good idea months ago when I said I'd go. But now, when I'm half way through my holiday, it didn't sound so good. I was good. I went. I heard some things of interest and had a brilliant lunch. I think I'm getting yet another ear infection which has made me feel a bit down as well.

Rather than cramming everything I've been knitting, spinning and dyeing into one post, I think I'll spread it out over several posts.

This is the book post! :-)

I've bought 4 books this week. I got two second-hand books from one of my email lists. I managed to get Alice Starmore's Celtic Collection and Montse Stanley's Handknitters Handbook. The Starmore book is very drool-worthy. I don't think there's anything in there that I wouldn't knit. There are things I wouldn't wear, but I think they would be fun to knit. If you know what I mean. Montse Stanley's book is one I've wanted for ages but always seem to just miss out on getting. Now its mine! Mwhahahaha! Ahem. Sorry about that. Anyway moving right along.

Two other books managed to wend their way from Amazon to my little home. These only arrived yesterday and I've not really done more than flick through them yet. The first is Hands On Spinning by Lee Raven. I like this and can see myself dipping into it often. It covers spindle and wheel spinning and goes into detail on fibre preparation, drafting, plying etc.

The other book I bought because Sal told me I had to and I always do what I'm told. (Shut up!) Colour in Spinning by Deb Menz. What can I say?

Go. Buy. This. Book. Now.

Seriously, if you spin, you need this book! It is aimed at spinners who also dye but the information on how the colours blend when being spun would be useful to all spinners. I've read the first section and can see it becoming my bible.

A picture to end with because I hate picture-less blog posts. This is a pic of Max I took last weekend because my friend, Meg (in Australia), was moaning about the lack of recent Max pics. Max says please excuse the mad-eye-rolled-back-in-head-look but he was just tooooo sleepy to stay awake. The table he's curled up under is about 18 inches on each side and watching him squeeze himself into the rather small space is quite funny. This is his hiding from thunder place too and he manages to squeeze himself right up against the wall. Not that he's a scaredy dog of course.

3 comments:

Rain said...

Aw, check out Max, he's a cutie. Dogs always make melaugh with the things they do.

Cool books.

Meg said...

moan moan mona LOL he is cute

DianeM said...

Ahhh 'Colour in Spinning' My mum keeps offering to buy me a copy for my birthday but I can always borrow hers ;-)