Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Dye Post

Not that I've done a lot of dyeing and I haven't tried my 'oak tree experiment' yet either.

Most recent first, this is some 'natural dyeing' I did on Friday. I used an alum mordant and nettles to dye some Blue-faced Leicester (left) and Wensleydale (right) tops. I used 50gms of each and spun a bit of it before dyeing. These are samples for my dye journal (that doesn't actually exist yet!) I was quite disappointed while dyeing because the colour that came to mind was 'dirty beige'. Yup. Nice one. I left the wool in the dyepot overnight and rinsed it out this morning and I was a bit happier with the results. The Wensleydale has definitely turned out a better colour, more taupe than dirty beige. The BFL on the other hand is not so good. I'll be spinning up an 'after dyeing' sample for the journal too. My inital disappointment was moderated a bit when I realised that the colour of my tops actually exactly matches the sample in Jenny Dean's Wild Colour.

Back to the acid dyes and nice colours!

These two batches should actually match but I, ummmmm, was a bit stupid. I put the first lot of tops in the pot, squirted over some pink, jade and navy dye, put it on the heat and wandered off. I was only going to take some stuff upstairs but I noticed I had an email, and then I read a few blogs and then I thought 'CRAP!' Raced back downstairs and my dyepot was BOILING! Aaarrrgggghhhh!!!! Whipped it off the heat and noticed that the colours had mostly blended to be a rather nice pale purple so I swirled the pot around to mix the remaining colours up and called myself a lot of bad names. It hasn't felted and is a nice colour to boot. How lucky am I?

I then had to dye some more tops in the colours I originally intended. I stayed put this time though! :-)

7 comments:

Steph said...

Lucky you & lovely results! Which dyes are you using?

Cheryl said...

The "forgotten" one is really beautiful. What a happy accident!

Lynne said...

I really like the "artificial" dye results - so pretty! But I am not much of a neutrals/taupe etc sort of girl.
(Must go read my Colour in Spinning properly)

Silvia said...

I think the colors turned out great and I do like Beig and Taupe!. So you can dye the Tops before they are spun?Raw as it were? I am learning a lot

Rain said...

Lol, it's easy to get distracted. Luckily it worked quite well. I love the colours you intended best though.

Cheryl said...

BFL is my favorite fiber to dye and spin! Lovely colors!

Donni said...

down the rabbit hole of blogs - can cause all sorts of trouble ;)