Monday, August 28, 2006

Finishing Frenzy

After months of dragging my feet (ha ha) on the gift for my SP8 spoilee, I've finally finished them! Posh Yarn's cashmere/merino blend in Pillar Box, knit on 2.5mm needles. I found the yarn a bit of a pain to knit with because it was splitty but I loved the fabric it produced. Now they are washed and OMG! they are to-die-for soft. Go out and buy this yarn now! You won't regret it and your feet will love you forever.This seems to have triggered a finishing frenzy similar to a great white shark's feeding frenzy. Well, okay, maybe I exaggerate slightly... I've finished two other projects. :-)

Meg's gloves! Finito!! Just in time for the Aussie summer!!! Oh well, like she said there'll be another winter next year. Sorry Meg! The hat is next on my list of things to do. I've got plenty of yarn left. I love knitting with my handspun. There is something very special and satisfying knowing that I've made something completely from scratch. Dyed, spun and knit all by me. :-)

I've also finished and felted my French Market bag. Yarn courtesy of my SP8 spoiler. It took three trips through the washing machine and ended up slightly smaller than I wanted but was too floppy (technical term) before the third wash. The two pics are before and after felting. Before felting the bag was 58cm long (just below the handles) and 40 cm deep (from the middle of the bottom to just below the handles.) The ruler in the 'unfelted' picture is 40cm long. After felting the bag is 28cm deep (from middle of bottom to lip excluding handles) and 39cm wide just below the handles. Its still wet at the moment and has the indignity of having a stock pot stuck in its innards to help with shaping. (Pot removed for pics of course!)

So, I'm feeling smug! Its been sooooo long since I finished anything. I'm thinking of knitting something substantial. Something like a sweater. Possibly from Alice Starmore's Fishermans Sweaters. Hmmmmm....

I'm going to the Knitting and Stitching show at the NEC on Thursday 14th September. Anyone else going that day?

I appear to be channeling Homer Simpson. Read the comments on my most recent Saturday Sky post. Doh!

11 comments:

Steph said...

Gorgeous FOs Sue - I adore that French Market Bag! I'll be at the NEC on the Friday, oh well.

Laura said...

You've been busy! I love all of your FO's.

I'll be going to the exhibition in London a month later...

Wye Sue said...

Do you want to meet on the train ? Well done for finishing things, so what is going to be the first from Fishermen's book ?
Oh and Colinette will be at NEC....

Dixie said...

They're all terrific!

I definitely want to get some sock yarn from Posh Yarns. Their stuff looks so wonderful!

Fred said...

Sue - I'll be there all four days. So make sure you stop by and say hi even if you have to prod me with needles!

Wye Sue - I didn't want to know about Colinette - aarrgghhh

Woolly Wormhead said...

You have been busy - clever you! The market bag looks brilliant - love it :)

Silvia said...

Great FO's!! Love the Gloves. The French Market bag is briliant. Might look into making one of those or something similar. Wish I could make the NEC but lack of funds and no time of work aren't helping!!!!

yvonne said...

Love the socks - my feet thank you!

I'll post photos and a proper thank you when I can get my laptop talking to my network!

KnitYoga said...

Some gorgeous finished projects there!

DianeM said...

Love the gloves, and the bag! What are you starting next????

TutleyMutley said...

EEk you put me to shame...
All your FOs look fab. mmmm