Friday, September 01, 2006

Phew!

My pal liked her socks! Hurrah! Go check out Yvonne's blog to see the socks in action. :-) She was a great spoilee and I really hope we keep in touch. I've had a great time with SP8 and, just in case you weren't aware, sign ups are open for SP9. Yeah, I did it. I wasn't going to but it really is fun!

I bought a new spindle which arrived today. It was hand-turned by the wonderful hubby of ClaireUK on the Dropped Spindle forum. Its made from holly and has a little cup too so it can be used as a support spindle. I haven't ever spun on a support spindle before so I'm cheating and using it as a drop spindle and let me tell you this little baby spins and spins and spins and... Do you get the idea I'm rather enamoured?

Here is a pic of some Fyberspates tussah silk, some prepared for spinning.





And here is a pic of the first tiny bit of spinning with a pen for scale.





And a close-up. Lovely silk.








I've also been book shopping. Wye Sue is responsible for making me buy Knitting Nature. She let me look at her copy and I was a lost cause. :-)



Due to my many late running buses (two hours to get home tonight on a half hour trip), there has been knittage. The Regia silk sock is progressing nicely. I've just started doing the ribbing and will be doing an afterthought heel. This is absolutely gorgeous yarn to knit with.

7 comments:

Wye Sue said...

I would say sorry, but I love to share !!!
I'm going to try and spin tomorrow but it wont be anywhere near as thin as that ;-)
And I'll be using something a lot bigger ....

Yvonne said...

It's a fantastic book - enjoy! I've already made a couple of small items from it and now have Turbulence on the needles

Rain said...

Your new spindle is gorgeous. The silk looks like it's coming along beautifully.

Lynne said...

Oooh, cute spindle. Are you going to do the challenge on Margene's/Zeneedle blog - the spindle and knit your socks? Starts ?next months?
Funny how much you can get done on PT, especially when it runs very very poorly. At least you have something to do though, rather than just get completely narky.

DianeM said...

Oooooh, very nice skinny silk! I might have to get one of those spindles...

Silvia said...

What a lovely Spindle!! And look at the thin Silk!! Thin handspun yarn will probably always be a mystery to me ...

Woolly Wormhead said...

Knitting Nature is a brilliant book, so don't feel bad for buying it! Haven't made anyhing from it yet, but I have plans....

You spindle is beautiful - maybe tempted to purchase one myself (when I've sold some more yarny stuff ;)

Am always envious of you fine spinning, especially with silk. You have more patience than I could ever muster!!